Accountable To: Lead Pastor
Accountable To Me: All Musicians, Vocalists, Music/Worship Interns, and Volunteers
Category: Ministerial Staff
Ultimate Responsibility: Be a “team-player” in supporting and fulfilling the mission, vision, and doctrinal beliefs of First Baptist Church.
General Description of Role: Working with and assisting the Lead Pastor in leading the church in worship, especially in the musical dimension.
- a professional and enthusiastic stage presence
- excellent vocal and instrumental skills (guitar or piano/keyboard)
- knowledge of classic hymns as well as new worship songs and the ability to sing, play, and lead both in a multiple service format
- the ability to read music and teach basic vocal skills
- the ability to lead both a contemporary (band, praise team, etc.) and a traditional (piano, organ, choir) service
- an outgoing personality and excellent people skills, including an encouraging, positive attitude and a team-player mentality
- the ability to work with existing musicians and to aggressively recruit new musicians
- the ability to lead and collaborate with creative and media support teams
- an upstanding Christian testimony and character
- Preferred music education, bible college or seminary
- Previous experience preferred
- Must submit to a criminal background check
Job Duties and Expectations:
1. Coordinate the musical and creative aspects of worship services:
- Prepare and manage annual budget for music worship ministries.
- Approve and supervise music for all church-wide worship services and functions.
- Recruit, equip, and oversee musicians for vocal, band, choir, special music, and worship leading.
- Select music for all services and functions as necessary.
- Direct rehearsals and coordinate vocal and instrumental (band) production, including all audio, lighting/mood, screen-use/appearance (including lyric slides – make sure they are accurate), and staging. Be sure to communicate with all technicians in a clear and timely manner.
- Lead the musical and creative elements in worship services (accompanying, singing, worship, etc. as required).
- Purchase, catalog, and coordinate all ministry-area-related resources, including lead sheets, scores, choir/ensemble books, etc.
2. Assist in the development and execution of worship services:
- Assist the Lead Pastor with vision, brainstorming, and producing creative ideas for use in services and programs.
- Work with the Lead Pastor to develop the worship service order and flow, including the use of music, media, drama, message and audio/visual. Especially give appropriate input regarding musical selections, including their placement, flow, transitions, mood, etc.
- Work with the Lead Pastor in creating and coordinating special services/productions, including but not limited to Christmas and Easter services.
3. Oversee equipment and logistics:
- Handle all issues related to audio, video, or lighting equipment including repair, purchase, inventory, and budget management.
- Coordinate the use of all church media resources.
- Purchase, catalog, and coordinate lead sheets, scores, choir/ensemble books, etc.
- Select and maintain worship software.
4. Fulfill ministerial staff responsibilities:
- Maintain principles of impeccable Christian conduct and character, ministry competence, and chemistry, including an enthusiastic desire to work with people, a humble servant’s heart, a positive “can-do” attitude, and a teachable, “team-player” spirit.
- Communicate and coordinate all ministry area related functions/rehearsals with the master church calendar.
- Attend church-wide functions (including Sunday morning worship) and any other function as requested by or negotiated with the Lead Pastor, including but not limited to staff meetings and leadership meetings.
- Submit to a criminal background check and performance staff review as requested by the Lead Pastor.
- Adhere to the church’s Constitution, By-Laws, and Official Policies, including the Staff Policy Manual.
Qualified candidates who sense God’s leading to this exciting ministry, please send a resume with references to Caren at [email protected] by December 20, 2020.